Amelia had the stint for about a full day when she started screaming again. I called the hospital and after hearing her over the phone the surgeon changed the date for the next morning. I was so relieved. What happened was when they placed the stint they pushed the stone back to her kidney so she passed it through the Ureter again! Poor thing. It was still stuck above the bladder so they had to go in and blast it.
She was not feeling well and yes I know she just had surgery, but I could tell something was off. Usually she recovers pretty well and even days later she was feeling horrible. After her procedure she just wasn't herself. She had high fevers, a lot of pain, and something was wrong. We called the on-call doc and they had us bring her in. Her crit (red blood count) had dropped from 36 to 17 in a 4 day period. It was dangerously low and Amelia needed an immediate blood transfusion. We had actually been in the ER the night before for her fever and pain, but they sent us home. Someone missed the fact that my daughter who has a blood cancer had very low blood counts. She should have been admitted that night. Thankfully I called the next morning to check in and see what the docs were thinking since she was still fevering. It was at this point that they noticed she needed a transfusion. They ended up not only giving her blood, but admitting us because she had lost so much, and they had no idea why.
After the transfusion they sent us home a couple days later. It took another week to realize she had a ton of fluid around her kidney and she also had either an abscess or urine leak. They couldn't decide which. I was just grateful they figured out what was going on. They sent Millie home on IV antibiotics for the week and that was that. Her body finally recovered and she seemed to be feeling better. It was a horrible month, but we were past it now and looking forward to her finishing her chemo treatments after 2 years.
She finished her last dose of antibiotics the day before our final IV chemo which was Thursday. Amelia was to have her last clinic appointment, last lumbar puncture, and last Vincristine dose. We had been waiting for so long to reach this day.
Fevering and in a lot of pain after surgery, so we're back at Primary.
Still having fevers so we are back again...
They sent her home with IV antibiotics that Brady and I had to give her through her port every 8 hours. After a few days Millie finally started to feel better and once again there was an end in sight, at least that's what we thought.
Thursday Feb 2 came and because Amelia had been having so many issues her doc decided to do a bone marrow aspiration. This is not normal after A.L.L treatments. I thank my Heaven Father every day that we decided to go ahead with it. If we hadn't who knows what would have happened.
Feb 6. 2012 our life's were once again flipped upside down as we were informed Amelia had relapsed. 80% of her bone marrow was filled with Leukemia. Amelia continues the fight for her life.