Saturday 19 December 2009

The Battle with Leukemia Begins

Thursday December 17th was a day we will never forget.

Amanda, my cousin Sherry, and I were at Millie's Christmas program at her preschool, and we all noticed how pale she was, and that her throat and cheeks looked swollen. After the program ended, I went back to work, assuming she was alright, while Amanda after talking with her mom took Millie to the pediatrician. They preformed a blood test and after seeing the results, she sent them to the hospital for further tests.

We hadn't been there long when the oncologist came in and told us that he was fairly certain that Millie had leukemia, but wouldn't be certain until more blood tests were completed the next morning. With little more than that, Millie was admitted to the hospital while we waited anxiously.

She got a blood transfusion the first night in the hospital, and despite the claims that it would restore color to her face, she was still very pale, and would be until more transfusions were completed. Although we still hadn't heard anything for sure, by the way the hospital staff was treating us, it was clear to us that everyone else knew she had leukemia.

At around 10:45 in the morning on Friday the 18th, a group of doctors from the oncology department came in to tell us that the tests showed that she had leukemia, and that a slot in the operating room had opened up for 11:00 - just 15 minutes away. They said that they would explain more later, but the short description was that she would have a spinal tap to get samples of her spinal fluid, a bone marrow sample would be taken from a vertebra, the first chemo drug would be put into her spinal fluid, and a picc line would be put into her arm. With that, we got her in a wheel chair and I wheeled her down to the operating room.
This picture is of Amanda calling her mom during Millie's procedure. Despite the fact that we already knew that she had leukemia, it was a major shock to find out for sure and have her begin chemo just 15 minutes later. It went smoothly and Millie didn't even notice that she had been poked and prodded, other than the single picc line which replaced two IVs, which was a good deal in her mind.

Although Millie didn't love being in the hospital, she did love the pancakes, bacon, and chocolate milk could be delivered to her room.

If you look close at the arm she is eating with you can see how swollen her elbow got. She had a ton of mutated white blood cells that didn't have anywhere to go, so they got trapped in her elbow. This picture was taken when the swelling was coming down and it wasn't hurting her as bad. Originally if she even thought you were going to touch her arm she would start crying.
This isn't the most flattering picture of me, but Millie sure is adorable. She always wanted one of us to be laying in her bed.

We thought Millie would be really happy that Santa came to her room, because she'd been wanting to see him for weeks. Much to our dismay, she instantly dismissed him as an impostor. "Mom," she said, "that's not the real Santa - Santa doesn't have glasses!"

She was pretty happy to have her little brother come visit her.

Millie and Amanda taking an afternoon nap, which I'm convinced Amanda and her have taken every weekday since Millie was born, although Amanda will never admit it...

I can't put into words what this past week has been like, but I'll try to describe it a little. It is truly heartbreaking to have to tell a four year old girl that she will lose her hair. She loves her hair, and never wants it to be put up because she loves how long it is. At her age, she associates short hair with boys, so this was not only a threat to her looks, but her very identity. She has no concept of time, and even if she did, we wouldn't have the heart to tell her that she's going to go through chemo for 2.5 years. She was crushed to learn she wouldn't be going to preschool, primary (Sunday school for little kids), or dance class for a little while. Most of all, she was scared. She saw so many loved ones come visit her, choking back tears, and although she doesn't understand what leukemia is, she understands our reactions.

She's starting to do better emotionally, but is still scared, and is still very worried about her hair. We were sent home on Tuesday the 22nd. She was happy to be home, but still depressed. The next night, I took her to rent a DVD from the RedBox vending machines at the local McDonalds. There was a boy, I'm guessing 12 years old, who was there with his family. He was bald and was obviously going through chemotherapy. I pointed him out to Millie, and she got really excited. Who knows what has been going through her innocent little mind, but I think seeing this boy out having fun with his family helped her to realize that it might not be as bad as she was afraid it would be.

For all of you who have helped us this past week, in any way, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts! So many people have been so good to us. We had so many people stop by the hospital with gifts for Millie, which helped her so much. We had Oxford friends from around the world have gifts sent to her room and to our house. We had friends, family, and neighbors call to tell us that they are there for anything we need. We had gifts sent by old neighbors that we haven't seen in years, and even from people we don't know, who heard from mutual friends about us and wanted us to know they're thinking of us.

When we found out that we would be allowed to come home with just a few hours notice, some of our family members and 19 women from our neighborhood, showed up to clean our house and disinfect every surface they could find. They showed up within minutes of us telling family that we would be coming home. This show of love would be impressive at any time, but was downright unbelievable given that it was December 22nd, right in the middle of the busiest week of the year.

The hospital staff was so good to us. There were so many people who would come by and try to cheer her up, and we felt that she was in the best hands possible.

Last, but certainly not least, my employer Magnum, was more thoughtful than we could have imagined. We shouldn't have been surprised by this, as they were very considerate and helpful when Amanda was on bedrest followed by Austin spending a month in the NICU at the hosptial, but they were so incredibly kind to us following this horrific news, that we couldn't believe it. I love my job, there isn't anything I'd rather be doing, but knowing how much they care for me and my family, I can't express how grateful I am to be working with such fine people.

So many people have shown us support that I couldn't possibly list them all here, but we are indeed grateful for everything. Thank you all for your friendship, your support, and most of all, your prayers.

28 comments:

Sarah said...

Amanda, Leigh told me about your sweet baby girl. As a parent, I can not imagine getting such heart wrenching news. Millie is an absolute beautiful girl. I want you to know that even though I don't know you and your family very well, you are all in my most sincere thoughts and prayers.

love,
Sarah (cornu) Shaw

lindsay Roscoe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lindsay Roscoe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily said...

We just heard the news...can't even begin to imagine what you are going through right now. Our hearts are truly touched and broken for you and your beautiful little Millie. You guys are amazingly strong and we will be praying for your girl, you two as parents, your peace and strength. We send our love and warmest wishes. Love the laytons

Eisha said...

O-no, not Millie! I am so sorry, so very very sorry!

Missy said...

Poor little thing! This is so heartbreaking. Our prayers are with your family. Hang in there, Millie is going to beat this!

Ben said...

Add our names to the list of those giving their love, support, and prayers. You two have been genuine friends to Miss and I--from the generosity you showed at our wedding, to the continued interest you've shown in our lives. Just know that you've our deepest sympathies and that Millie is continually in our thoughts and prayers. We love you guys!

Unknown said...

I'm on with team millie! i'm so sorry for this heartbreaking experience you are having you to go through as a family and as parents - but I know that we are only given situations that we are to learn and grow from. The Hill's love you & are thinking of you!!!

dustin hill said...

Send my love to Millie, and know that your family is in my thoughts and prayers. Isn't Millie lucky that she has a ridiculously cute face and personality, and her missing hair will not change that. If i had any to spare, i'd share :)

Em said...

Brady and Amanda,
I look at your blog now and then and my heart breaks for you and your family right now. I can't imagine how you are all feeling. I will certainly keep Millie and your family in my prayers.
Emily Bingham

Phoebe said...

Thank you for sharing, we are all so concerned for you all and we know it's not easy to share. Lots of love and prayers.

Angela Lancaster said...

All my best wishes that you will get well soon, Millie. Hair or no hair your such a beautiful girl so stay strong, cutie, and keep on smiling. Your in my prayers~

miss patti said...

I was so excited to hear from Lindsay that you have a blog! I have been hesitant to call you because i know how difficult it is to have to explain and reexplain things that are so hard to talk about. Lindsay tells me that Amelia is responding pretty well to the treatments - Yay!!! My thoughts and prayers are with you still and will continue to be until Amelia is well again. I'd like to come and visit her again when the time is right. Please be sure to let me know if there is anything that I can do.

I love you sweet little Amelia!!!

Megan said...

We are praying (and knitting) with all our hearts for Amelia. You can tell her that her big cousins will keep her well supplied with cute, girlie knit hats to wear while she is going through chemo.
We love you all and pray that soon your family will be blessed with a season of peace.

Hallie said...

Guys I really don't know what to say except that you are in our thought and prayers and that if there is any thing we can do please let us know. Much Love Hallie

{owens} said...

oh my goodness, amanda and brady. i was at work when i read this, and started crying. it absolutely breaks my heart. i know we have not seen each other is a very long time, but want you and millie to know that you are in our prayers..every night. she is such a special little girl..and you've been through so much this year. my heart is broken for you.

lindsay Roscoe said...

Every thought and prayer is with you guys today!

Stefanie said...

I know we have not spoken in a long time but I want you to know that your family is in my prayers. You are a beautiful family and have blessed my life just by knowing you. I am sure the Lord will continue to bless you and your sweet Millie.

If you ever need anything, please let me know. My support is available if needed.

Best of luck in this next adventure.

Shelly said...

Much love sent to you from AZ

Jodi said...

I'm so happy that you have such an amazing support group. Brady, this is a beautiful post. Please continue to stay positive because Miss Millie will beat this darn cancer's butt! Sending all kinds of love and good wishes to you guys every minute of every day. xoxo

Ashlie said...

It is nice to hear that there are so many good people surrounding you right now. I wish I could be one of the people that was there to clean the house, or able to help babysit your sweet little baby. Please know that we love you so much and you are most certainly in our prayers. Amanda, you are amazing and I love you. Please stay strong and know that I am here if/when you need a friend. Millie-you are a sweet and beautiful little girl. We are thinking of you, and praying for you.
Love,
Ashlie & family

Thekrogwoman said...

Just read the news and my heart is aching for you right now. Please know that your family and sweet Millie is in our prayers. I can't begin to imagine what you must be going through and no little girl should ever have to experience such things. Stay strong and have faith that things will be okay! Much love, Angie Krog and Family

Steve Gotz said...

Oh, tears are pouring down my face. You are all soooo loved. Prayers are continuing daily. Wish we were there to hug you and help in person. So glad you have so many around you to help you. XOXOXOXOXOX

Jesse C said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Hinton Family said...

I don't think there are words to express how sorry I am and how crazy it all seems...especially because we love millie so so much. We love you and are thinking about you and praying for you.

Plowgian Page said...

Brady and Amanda,

My son Ethan is in Millie's preschool class. I just got this news from Miss Patti today. Although, I don't really know Millie, my heart breaks for your daughter and family. We will keep you in our prayers.

Nikola Georgiev said...

Dear Friends,

My best wishes and my prayers are with you for a full recovery and happy childhood of Millie!

I am just helping out a friend that has the same condition, she is a young mom of beautiful baby girl. Its a tough battle but we are determined to win it:

We shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender!!!

God bless you all!

Anonymous said...

I sent you a message on facebook.
Please read it.
I think it's in te 'Others' box.